Etsy is the best place to find unique items from independent sellers worldwide. Every item listed on Etsy must be handmade, a craft supply, or vintage.
These are items that are designed and made by the seller. If you sell items that are handmade, you should:
- Physically create or make the original designs
- Include every person involved in running the business or creating your items in your shop’s About section. If you have a production partner, it must also be disclosed in your relevant listings.
- Use your own photographs for your listings.
Note that reselling isn’t allowed when it comes to the Handmade category because the reseller is not involved, in any way, in making or designing the product.
These are items that are at least 20 years old. Newer, collectible, and vintage-style items aren’t allowed in this category.
Etsy might ask for additional information about the vintage products you sell in your shop:
- How did you determine the item’s age?
- Where did your item come from and how do you source them?
- Who is the designer? From which collection is the item from and what year is the debut of the collection?
- For clothing: What is the fabric? Does the garment have care instructions or have a brand label? What material do the buttons and zippers are made of?
These are ingredients, tools, or materials whose main purpose is for making or creating an item or special occasion. Craft supplies can be commercial, handmade, or vintage. Party supplies are also considered craft supplies.
Here are some samples of craft supplies:
- Fabric yardage
- “Blanks” whose main purpose is for crafting
- DIY kits
- Cake toppers
Prohibited Items on Etsy
Some items may present legal risks to the Etsy community, inconsistent with their values, harmful to members, and are not in the spirit of Etsy. This is why there are items that are prohibited on Etsy.
Here are some of the prohibited items on Etsy:
- Alcohol, drugs, tobacco, medical drugs, and drug paraphernalia
- Certain human remains and animal products
- Dangerous items like recalled items, weapons, and hazardous materials
- Hate items including those that promote, glorify, or support hate
- Illegal items that promote illegal activity and highly regulated items
- Pornography and mature content
- Internationally regulated items
- Violent items including those that promote, glorify or support violence