#11 Listing Pictures
Taking pictures is easier than ever, but still very challenging. If you have an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy then that should have a good enough camera for you to get started. I wouldn’t worry about buying an expensive camera to start.
Here’s a photography checklist
- Use all 5 picture spots, some different options are
- Modeled – If the item is jewelry then show it on someones wrist or neck, wear matching clothing that fits the style. If it’s a chair show someone sitting in it reading a book comfortably,
- White Background – Show a close up picture on a plain or white background without any distractions.
- Size picture – If it’s a small item put it next to a ruler, if it’s a large item such as furniture, put it near a door frame for scale.
- Options – If you have options then do a picture with all the options and then put an ID on each option and allow people to choose from the drop down menu which one they want. This could be colors, sizes, etc.
- Get lots of light on the subject. If you’re taking pictures of small items like jewelry then create a lightbox with foil and transparent paper. Check out our blog for a tutorial on how to do this.
- Don’t apply filters, people want to know what an item looks like, filters change the appearance.
- Don’t put big annoying watermarks over an image, putting your logo at the bottom or shop link would be great in case your picture is shared on Pinterest, Facebook etc without the listing link.